We're an organization run by kids, for kids. We're here to provide a place for the kids of Lafayette to showcase their artistic talents (and artistic doesn't necessarily mean painting and drawing alone).
Our mission is to create a contest that isn’t so much about competition (paradoxical as it is), but about inspiring a love of writing and photography in kids. That's why our judges will be looking for creativity and a love of your medium, not just how "correctly" you handle it.
The Second Annual Writing and Photography Contest
• Who's it for? Middle school (grades 6-8) students who either live in Lafayette, or attend a Lafayette school.
• What's the point? To get kids to realize how much fun writing and photography can be.
• What can I win? There are almost 30 prizes to be won! Look here for more information.
• When are the topics/themes announced? November 15th
• When does the contest close for entering? January 15th, 2015
• How do I enter? Mail your entry to Lafayette Youth Arts Society, P.O Box 4, Lafayette, CA 94549
• Should I submit my entry as soon as I'm done, or should I wait until January 14th to do so? Please submit your entry as soon as you're done!
In case you missed it, here's our banner, which was on the community board outside Safeway, from November 18th to 25th!
Thanks to all the Lamorinda citizens who came and supported us at our bookfair with Barnes and Noble!
The contest had a great turnout, receiving almost 150 entries! Thank you to everyone who entered, for making this contest such a success!
The judges all commented that the general quality of the entries was very high, and they found that picking the winners was a difficult task. Many said that they wanted to choose tied winners for first place, because the entries were all so good that it was impossible to choose.
Join us in the Lafayette Public Library for our awards ceremony on April 26th, 2014. The ceremony will begin at 4:30, and there will be a reception after the awards have been given. We hope to see you all there!