We're an organization run by kids, for kids. We're here to provide a place for the kids of Lafayette to showcase their artistic talents (and artistic doesn't necessarily mean painting and drawing alone).
Our mission is to create a contest that isn’t so much about competition (paradoxical as it is), but about inspiring a love of writing and photography in kids. That's why our judges will be looking for creativity and a love of your medium, not just how "correctly" you handle it.
The First Annual Writing and Photography Contest
• Who's it for? Middle school (grades 6-8) students who either live in Lafayette, or attend a Lafayette school.
• What's the point? To get kids to realize how much fun writing and photography can be.
• What can I win? There are almost 30 prizes to be won! Look here for more information.
• When are the topics/themes announced? November 15th
• When does the contest close for entering? January 15th, 2014
• How do I enter? Mail your entry to Lafayette Youth Arts Society, P.O Box 4, Lafayette, CA 94549
• Should I submit my entry as soon as I'm done, or should I wait until January 14th to do so? Please submit your entry as soon as you're done!
In case you missed it, here's our banner, which was on the community board outside Safeway, from November 18th to 25th!
Thanks to all the Lamorinda citizens who came and supported us at our bookfair with Barnes and Noble!
Entries will still be accepted for a few days after the Wednesday deadline, so even if you put your entry in the mail on Wednesday, it'll get to us in time. You can also drop off entries with Mr. Anke, at the Stanley library, or at the Stanley office. We won't be picking up the entries from Stanley until Friday evening, so you don't have to worry if your entry is a day or two late.
A lot of concerned parents have called us, saying that their kids put their entries in the mail only on Wednesday, not realizing that they would first be sent to Oakland, then back to Lafayette. However, we are aware of this, and will be accepting entries for a few days after the deadline (Wednesday the 15th).