We're an organization run by kids, for kids. We're here to provide a place for the kids of Lafayette to showcase their artistic talents (and artistic doesn't necessarily mean painting and drawing alone).
Our mission is to create a contest that isn’t so much about competition (paradoxical as it is), but about inspiring a love of writing and photography in kids. That's why our judges will be looking for creativity and a love of your medium, not just how "correctly" you handle it.
The Second Annual Writing and Photography Contest
• Who's it for? Middle school (grades 6-8) students who either live in Lafayette, or attend a Lafayette school.
• What's the point? To get kids to realize how much fun writing and photography can be.
• What can I win? There are almost 30 prizes to be won! Look here for more information.
• When are the topics/themes announced? November 15th, 2014
• When does the contest close for entering? Entries should be postmarked January 31st, 2015 or earlier
• How do I enter? Mail your entry to Lafayette Youth Arts Society, P.O Box 4, Lafayette, CA 94549
• Should I submit my entry as soon as I'm done, or should I wait until January 31st to do so? Please submit your entry as soon as you're done!
Congratulations, 2014 winners!
The contest had a great turnout, receiving almost 150 entries! Thank you to everyone who entered, for making this contest such a success!
The judges all commented that the general quality of the entries was very high, and they found that picking the winners was a difficult task. Many said that they wanted to choose tied winners for first place, because the entries were all so good that it was impossible to choose.
April 2014 awards ceremony at Lafayette Library and Learning Center
This year's photography contest is going international! The 2nd Annual Photography Contest will be open to middle schoolers at Tingstrup Skole, a middle school in Thisted, Denmark. Separate prizes will be given, but the prompts will be the same for everyone. After the winners are chosen, both the Danish and Lafayette winners' photos will be posted on the Royal Danish Embassy's website (and on lyas.org). Get your cameras ready!
Meet our workshop tutors!
Emily Jiang is the author of Summoning the Phoenix: Poems & Prose about Chinese Musical Instruments. She holds an MFA in Creative Writing from Saint Mary's College of California and a BA in English from Rice University. Her writing has been published in Apex Magazine, Stone Telling, Strange Horizons, and Goblin Fruit. She blogs at www.emilyjiang.com
Here's where we held the workshops!
Saint Mary's College, Moraga
Lafayette Community Board 2013
Lafayette Community Board 2014
Melissa Burke is a graduate student researcher at Saint Mary's College. She also moonlights as a Poetry Editor and Social Media staff member at Omnidawn Publishing, as well as an Education & Children's Events Assistant at Book Passage in Corte Madera.
How to: Lafayette Youth Writing and Photography Contest
Ani is a Bay Area native, CAL graduate writing her first memoir in Berkeley. Currently an M.F.A. graduate student at St. Mary's College, she is also assistant editor of MARY Journal.
The lucky winner of our Arts and Wine Festival raffle, Elizabeth!